Sunday, April 6, 2008

Whoa! God, you talking to me?

Another thing I wrote and gave to the ladies of Walker dorm. Hope it can minister to you also...


“Letting Out the Net”

Tired and disappointed he walked to the water’s edge carrying his net. Lord I can’t do this any more, this pain makes my whole body shake. Today’s work had produced no result, which meant no pay. As Peter lifted his sun burnt face he saw a Man he knew in his boat. God where are you in this? The Man asked Peter to push the boat out in the water. Trusting Him, Peter and his friends pushed their boat out so Jesus could teach to the crowd from the water. Is this just a wasted season of my life? Will I have to feel this pain for many years to come? When the Man had finished speaking to the crowd, Peter began to direct the boat back to shore, but the Man reached for Peter’s arm. I know you are tired, my daughter. God I just don’t understand. Can’t you just take this pain away? Do you remember that night you were distraught and I held you? Remember? My princess, do you believe I can heal you? The Man asked Peter to go out farther so that they might let out their nets. Peter was confused; it was not the time of day to fish. He and his men barely had any more strength in them to get back to shore, much less clean the nets again. He did not understand the Man’s reasoning in His words. Yet still, Peter replied, “Because you say so, I will let down the nets.” God, I just don’t understand. I do not get how you can bring healing when it seems that this is never ending. It frustrates me that you could take this strife from me, but you don’t. God my heart aches so much—can I please just give up! But God, you have promised you would see me through, that you will restore me. So Father, since you say so I trust you. James and John lowered their nets, as Peter told them and in a moment they were struggling with all their might to pull the overflowing nets in the boat. Another boat had to take on one net of fish because Peter’s boat dared to sink with the weight of the huge catch. You see my love I am doing great things in this season of your life. You can’t even imagine the plans I have for you. I know it is not easy right now, but this pain will pass away if you let me have it. Peter and his friends were in awe of the miracle they had just seen. Peter’s scraped and bruised knees hit the bottom of the boat as he told the Man to go away because he, Peter, was sinful man. God, I don’t deserve this love. I don’t deserve to be pursued as tirelessly as you pursue me. Forgive me for not trusting you, and for leaning on my own understanding. Jesus reached down and lifted Peter, telling him to come with Him and be a fisher of men. Peter and his friends guided the boat to shore. Jesus stepped out onto the sand and three sets of feet followed in His path. Child, I love you and I too look forward to the day this wound will be closed. But I also take the same delight in today. Come walk with me as you walk in this hardship.

Lauren Whatley
March 30, 2008

No comments: