New Friend
Took my 10min break and got to chat with one of our regular customers, Bill. We exchanged names and started talking about books. He was reading a book about Buddhist simplicity and I asked if that was along the lines of what he believed. He replied that it wasn't something He held tight to and gave the impression that he wasn't associated with any type of religion. I told him the books I had been reading. I talked about the Chronicles of Narnia and then a book by John
Eldredge that I am reading. I told him that John is a Christian author and writes in his book about engaging the heart in life and reconnecting it with our minds. Of course this was just simplifing and only grazing the surface of what the book talks about, but it struck a cord. He said that the buddhist mentioned something like that too. We talked for a little bit about just the complexity of the mind and the heart and how amazingly it was created. He is a doctor of sorts, so He had lots of in depth knowledge about the mind. My 10min break became 15min and I excused myself. He came in yesterday and we greeted each other warmly. Found that very interesting and God present.
Eldredge that I am reading. I told him that John is a Christian author and writes in his book about engaging the heart in life and reconnecting it with our minds. Of course this was just simplifing and only grazing the surface of what the book talks about, but it struck a cord. He said that the buddhist mentioned something like that too. We talked for a little bit about just the complexity of the mind and the heart and how amazingly it was created. He is a doctor of sorts, so He had lots of in depth knowledge about the mind. My 10min break became 15min and I excused myself. He came in yesterday and we greeted each other warmly. Found that very interesting and God present. A Taste of India
Yesterday while working, a indian couple walked in. We were slow at the moment, so I went to sweep the floors. As they drank their coffee I engaged them in a bit of conversation, asking where they were from. She had come from India not to long ago, but they were living in NC and just passing through on their way home. I told them about friends I have that grew up in India and how it has been my dream for a couple of years to go to India. As they went to leave the lady and I talked a bit more and she asked what I was studying, taking a deep breath I said Family and Church Education and English. She asked what I wanted to do and I told her for sure that I wanted to write, and possibly work in a church. We talked for another second or two, but that was it.
I think it is so amazing to connect with people in this way. Because I had friends that were from India and have a heart for India, it opened the couple up and instead of me just engaging them, they engaged me in conversation.
Partner in Crime
There is no one that I dread working with. There are people I would prefer working with over others. One girl I would prefer working with, I rarely get to work with. Luckly this weekend I worked with her two nights in a row. We got to talking about our schooling last night and she asked what I was majoring in and what I wanted to do. I told her a similar response that I gave to the Indian lady, but continued with that fact that I was frustrated with the church. After a shocked second I continued saying how a lot of church's in America need a new mindset. Explained how I couldn't stand the bickering over how to dress or whether to have pews or not,
but my frustration went a bit deeper as I explained that there were so many prejudices in the church whether it be against gays or other races. The church needs to minister to all people welcoming them in and meeting them where they are, encouraging them to grow in faith. She found it very refreshing to hear me say these things. She told me that she had several friends that think of religious people as very styerotypical and stuck in their ways. Ouch. She claimed not to be very "religious", but said that it was refreshing when she came across people who weren't the religious people that her friends didn't like. Hmmm... makes ya think. Excited about working with her more and just loving on her. I find it really interesting when a non-believer can see the difference between religion and relationship.
Alright well that is all for now. Hope yall enjoyed some coffee converstations. God is good and He is at work.
The college girl

1 comment:
You are more than a barista...you are a blessing! Keep it up Lauren! : )
Post a Comment